Michigan Flyer Policies
Michigan Flyer understands travel plans change. Check out our policies before you book to ensure a great travel experience.
Tickets are non-refundable once purchased. Two changes per reservation are allowed and can be made online before your scheduled departure. Once your reservation has been changed twice the ticket is null and void. Ticket date and time can be changed- Direction must stay the same.
Michigan Flyer is currently booking 180 days into the future.
Passengers traveling from the Airport who missed their scheduled departure due to a delayed flight will be welcomed on the next available departure in the same day. If you are not able to change the ticket online since the window for changes has passed or the schedule is not available for an online change, please check directly with the driver for space availability.
Passengers who "no show" a prepaid reservation traveling to the Airport or any non-airport passenger will have to purchase a new ticket.
As of Sept. 1, 2018, we no longer transport pets. However, we do welcome dogs as service animals on board with customers who have disabilities. Service animals may ride in the passenger compartment of the bus at no additional charge. For more information, please see our FAQs and the section on People with Disabilities.
Michigan Flyer allows two checked bags plus a purse or backpack, free of charge. To avoid extra charges for oversize or overweight baggage, each checked bag must:
- Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less
- Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) in total length + width + height
Extra bags over the two per person limit is $10.00 per bag. Extra, overweight and oversize baggage is accepted on a standby basis. Bags that do not meet our size and weight restrictions require special handling, for which there is an additional fee of $10 per bag.
A bicycle counts as one oversize, checked bag.
Please review the following information prior to purchasing Michigan Flyer tickets:
1. Fares quoted are valid on Michigan Flyer schedules and/or those of participating interline carriers listed on the ticket. Fares are payable in U.S. dollars unless noted otherwise.
2. All tickets are date and schedule specific and will be honored for transportation unless otherwise indicated.
3. Walk-up passengers (those without a prepaid reservation) will be accommodated on a first come, first served basis. A $3 to $5 fee is applied to fares paid by credit card to the driver or customer service agent at the coach.
4. Fares are subject to change. Not all discounted fares may be available on all schedules. Fares may be higher during some periods and additional restrictions (non-exchangeable dates) may apply during peak travel periods.
5. To qualify for a family/group discount, passengers must be prepaid and travel together at all times. For child discounts, parents and children of the same household must travel on the same itinerary. Up to three children (ages 2-16) from the same household qualify for the discounted rate.
6. Customers are encouraged to book online to obtain the lowest fares. Reservations made by telephone through our office incur a $5 reservation fee.
7. All Michigan Flyer tickets purchased online or via telephone are completely NON-REFUNDABLE once purchased. Changes may be made online before the schedule departure. Two changes per ticket are allowed.
8. Passengers should be at the boarding point 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. This allows our drivers to board customers in a timely manner, so as not to delay the departure of the vehicle.
9. Cut-off time: Passengers who are not at our boarding location 3 minutes prior to departure may lose their seats to standby customers.
10. Parking rates are set by the parking facility owners and are subject to change. Michigan Flyer does not own any parking facilities but does facilitate parking space rental from the City of East Lansing and the Brighton Meijer. Michigan Flyer is not liable for passenger’s vehicles or their contents in these lots, where parking is at your own risk. We strongly encourage not to leave any visible items in your parked vehicle.
11. East Lansing and Brighton parking fees must be prepaid directly to Michigan Flyer before departure and a prepaid voucher must be placed on the dashboard of your vehicle. If parking fees are not prepaid to Michigan Flyer, your vehicle may be ticketed or subject to higher parking rates or towed. A green ticket must be obtained from the office or the driver in order to exit the parking facility.
Michigan Flyer/Airride is not responsible for tickets or parking fees if customers are not parked in the correct facility or on the designated parking level of the facility. Please see our ‘Locations and Parking’ page on our website for detailed parking instructions.
12. Ann Arbor-Blake Transit Discounted Parking is no longer offered.
13. Passengers are allowed two free bags to be stowed plus a purse or a backpack. All luggage is restricted to 50 pounds per bag and both carry-on and checked luggage size are limited to the same restrictions as posted by your airline. Excess or overweight luggage is subject to a $10.00 surcharge and should be paid at the time of booking or directly to the driver. Bicycles are only accommodated on a space available basis. Bicycles transported will be considered one oversize piece of checked luggage. Bicycles bound for the airport must be contained in wood, leather, canvas, a bicycle box or other substantial carrying case. Please call the office for space verification. Scooters are allowed on our coaches and the maximum weight limit of the lift including the scooter is 650 lbs.
14. Michigan Flyer/Airride will not be responsible for lost or stolen items. Lost or mishandled luggage is covered up to the maximum liability of $250.00 per reservation.
15. As of Sept. 1, 2018, we no longer transport pets. However, we do welcome dogs as service animals on board with people with disabilities. Service animals may ride in the passenger compartment of the bus at no additional charge. For more information, please see our FAQs and the section on People with Disabilities.
16. Michigan Flyer/AirRide reserves the right to refuse to transport passengers whose behavior, in our sole judgment, may be considered detrimental to our operations in any manner whatsoever. This includes, but is not limited to, appearing to be under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, conduct likely to distract the driver or be objectionable to other passengers or prospective passengers, and behavior that may cause financial harm to Michigan Flyer, LLC. Such persons may be denied permission to board the bus, be subject to having their prior reservations canceled, be removed from the bus by the driver or customer service agent, and/or be reported to law enforcement authorities. In any such event, Michigan Flyer/AirRide shall not be liable for any refunds.
17. Wifi Signal may not be available on some routes due to factors beyond our control such as signal strength or other technical challenges. No refund or credit will be provided when wifi is unavailable.
Going on one airline and returning on another? There are two terminals in Detroit- Delta Airline and Air France are at McNamara Terminal and all other airlines can be found at the Evans (North) Terminal.
When making the reservation the system will ask you to choose an airline. Choose your outbound airline and select the outbound time of departure. The system will then display the return time choices. Before selecting the return time, click on the Terminal name and change it to the other terminal and then proceed with selecting your return time.
Do I have to buy my ticket in advance? Discounted fares require pre-payment via credit card on our website. You can pay by credit card to the driver for a ticket, but the fare is higher and seating is based on availability. Only single passenger tickets are available at the coach.
Must I print my confirmation and bring it with me? Each leg of your trip has its own QR code. In order to board the coach the QR code must be presented to the driver either on your smart phone or on paper. The driver will scan your QR code before boarding.
If I miss my scheduled coach, can I take another one without having to pay again? It depends. If you miss your scheduled coach due to a flight delay at the airport, then Yes, you are welcome to take the next available coach at no additional cost. However, passengers traveling to the airport or non-airport passengers traveling between East Lansing, Brighton and Ann Arbor who do not show for their scheduled departure must purchase a new ticket.
Do you have signs at Detroit Metro Airport? No. But our motorcoaches are clearly co-branded as Michigan Flyer-AirRide. In McNamara Terminal follow "Municipal Transportation" and "Ticketing/Check-In" signs to Departures (Level 3), and look for us outside and to the left of the doors for Air France check in. At the Evans (North) Terminal, follow "Municipal Transportation" signs to Ground Transportation and find a small "AirRide route 787" sign by stall number 1.
Does the motorcoach have seat belts? Yes, our coaches are all equipped with 3-point seat belts for added safety.
Are child car seats allowed on the coach? While child safety seats are not required on motorcoaches, you are welcome to bring a car seat if you own one.
Are pets allowed on the coach? No. As of Sept. 1, 2018, we no longer transport pets. However, we do welcome service dogs on board with customers who have disabilities. Service animals may ride in the passenger compartment of the bus at no additional charge.
As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) “service animal” means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. In addition, miniature horses that have been trained to help people with disabilities with specific tasks may now be considered service animals. (For more information about service animals, please see our policy on People with Disabilities).
For transportation purposes, “emotional support animals,” “psychiatric support animals,” or any dogs, cats, birds, or other animals that are not trained to perform a specific function for a person with a disability are all classified as pets under federal ADA law.
Changes and Cancellations- Tickets are non-refundable once purchased. Two changes per reservation are allowed and can be made online before your scheduled departure. Ticket date and time can be changed- direction of the ticket must stay the same.
Children 12-17 traveling without a parent- Please see "Unaccompanied Children" on our Customer Care page.
Traveling with an infant- Children 24 months or younger are allowed to travel on their parents lap on our coaches at no charge. If you would like the child to travel in a car seat you will be required to purchase a child fare to accommodate the car seat and infant.
What if I can’t find my answer here? Call us at 517-333-0400.